Take Control With These De-Cluttering Tips
What can be more challenging than selling a hoarder’s house? Hoarding is real. Approximately 3-5% of Americans actually suffer from this condition, often characterized by the inability to discard or part with possessions.
There are several considerations when it comes to selling the home of a hoarder. Time is disputably the biggest impediment that needs to be dealt with — time to clear out the house, get it up to code, clean it, and finally…sell it.
How Can You Help?
Identify and acknowledge it. Realize that it isn’t a problem that a hoarder can fixed in an instant. Be prepared for it to take time. And forget about a one-size-fits-all approach.
Be informed. The more you understand about hoarding, the easier it will be for you to support and encourage the hoarder.
Be compassionate and ready to listen. Be patient when approaching an individual with hoarding behavior and try to put yourself in their shoes to understand their behavior and how they feel. Try not to judge and avoid hostility as it will only make the situation worse.
Hoarder Cleaning Checklist
- Begin by marking boxes or sacks with “keep,” “waste,” and “give.” You presumably need to make a space to pile things to consider or come back to.
- Gather comparable items together. Seeing an extensive amount of a single thing may enable the hoarder to make peace with reducing the quantity of a particular thing. If he has 100 boxes of tissue for instance, he might agree to lessen the quantity of boxes to 50. Just a small step but can definitely help.
- Arrange “need” and “don’t need.” You can begin the “don’t need” pile with something that is a less demanding choice, similar to food items that have expired or dead plants.
- Examine where things that are to be kept will go. This might be a particular room in the house or a storage unit.
- Consider what can be utilized, and what is adored – all the rest is clutter.
- Clear one room at a time – void each cabinet and cupboard and decide on each thing.
- Once you’ve cleaned up, get things out of the entryway.
- You don’t need to be heartless, however you should be impartial. Try not to feel regretful about disposing of something since someone offered it to you, or you spent a great deal of cash on it.
Has clutter taken over your life? Do you know someone who lives in a state of excessive clutter? It requires a lot of time and energy to maintain an organized home. At Synergy Real Estate, we can offer to give your home the best chance to be sold quickly.